The German American Student Exchange Program
From the outset, the promotion of German-American friendship and maintenance of common values were the goals of this successful program that was founded in 1957 as an initiative of the German American Women's Club Munich.
Acting as cultural ambassadors during their year in a foreign country, the exchange students contribute to the development of understanding of the similarities and differences of their respective homelands.
The German American Women's Club Munich, together with 31 partner clubs in the Federation (Verband) of the German American Women's Clubs, VDAC, supports the German American Student Exchange Program. It is the largest private exchange program of its type in Germany.
To date, the cooperation of some 20 American and 20 German universities has made it possible for approximately 2700 students to spend a year in the USA or Germany studying at the university level.
Every year, over 50 American and German students study abroad. German students receive a scholarship from the American partner universities and American students receive a scholarship from the VDAC to finance their time in Germany.
Organisation: Barbara Standl • E-Mail: email@example.com
In the school year 2014/2015, there were three US exchange students enrolled in LMU Munich:
- Andrea S. Fox from Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH,studied German studies.
- Nadia Cumming from the University of Delawarewas enrolled in German studies, literature and education.
- Jackson Loop from the University of Florida, Gainesville, studied history.
Please click: A Bridge over the Ocean Interview with an American guest student in Munich >>
There were also three students from Munich studying at American universities:
- Sarah Ott was at Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH, and studied English and history.
- Vinh-Minh Nguyen attended Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, taking North American studies and theater.
- Simon Geissler enrolled at Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, MI, studying energy and information technology.
In the school year 2015/2016
- Michael Winfried Hesse from the TU Munich stuided at the University of Delaware, Computer Science.
- At the LMU Munich Philipp Lee from Georgia Tech, Macon, Georgia, studied Business Administration.
In the school year 2016/2017 two students from Munich studied at American universities:
- Jan Stefan Herrmann from the LMU Munich studied at the Oberlin College, Ohio. majoring in Global Business Management
- Sabine Stefanie Waas from the LMU Munich studied at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa majoring in North American Studies
From the US two students studied in the school year 2016/2017 in Munich:
- Ranjani Mari Sundaresan from the Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA. who studied Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, German
- Leo Richard Kalkbrenner from Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH. who studied Literature, Economics.
In the school year 2017/2018 two students from the US attended the LMU Munich:
- Alexandra Challenger from Florida State University studied Art History and German
- John Grant Fentum from the University of Arizona, Tuscon, studied Computer Science and German
Please click here to read about their experiences and impressions.
Following students studied in the school year 2017/2018 in the U.S.A.:
- Franziska Beltinger of the Technical University Munich studied Chemistry at Georgis Tech in Atlanta.
- Andreas Garhammer of the Technical University Munich studied Aviation and Space Technology at the University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware.
- Maximilian Müller-Bardorff studied European Business at the Clarkson University, Schenectady, New York.
In the school year 2018/2019
- Milena Kagel from Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH is studying European History and German at the LMU Munich
Andreas Garhammer, U.S. Consul General Meghan Gregonis, Milena Kagel,
Foto: Egon Lippert
- Eva Katharina Henning from LMU Munich is studying English, French and Psychology at Oberlin College
- Felicia Hofner of LMU Munich is studying at the University of Cincinaty
Financing (bilateral system) >>
Method of Operation and Application Procedure >>
Prerequisites for applications by German students >>
Support and Seminars >>
The Federation expects exchange students >>
Application Form for German Students >>